How old is to Old?

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
A few months ago I posted about looking for a 4-H horse for my daughter. Well I found one that should work from a friend that his daughter has stepped up to a faster horse.

The Gelding is 20 or 21 years old though. I trust the horse and know in his current condition he would be great for my daughter. But how long could I expect him to hold together for us? He is in great shape now and hard to believe he is that old.

It just depends on the horse and his history, how hard has his life been. I had a horse that was 20 and I was still highschool rodeoing on him. And he was good. Sold him to a guy that trains barrel horses for his wife to compete on and she got a couple more years out of him. I have a mare right now that is 21 but when she was 15 she got arthritis and couldn't run anymore. I would have a good physical done on the horse. But I have seen alot of horses still barrelracing at age 27. Like I said it just depends on the horse. But I would not be afraid of an older horse, I would just have it checked out good. Good Luck.

If he's had good feed and good care he should well last your daughter until she is ready to "step up" to a little more horse. You should be able to get good use from him for at least 3-4 good years - more if all he's expected to do is pack a small child around the trails and 4-h shows! We have a gelding that we bought as a 3 yr old that my husband steer wrestled on until he was about 18, then our son steer wrestled and team roped (healed) on him all through high school and we've used him on the ranch his whole life, we officially "retired" him this past winter, I had to go and look on his papers - he was foaled in May 1977, so he just turned 30! He's still got all his teeth and holds his weight good, he's a little stiff when it's cold but heck - so am I! If he starts losing condition or his stiffness/ arthritis get worse this winter we'll take care of him then and do what needs to be done - but until that time he's got a good home. They'll last a good long while if they are cared for properly and dont get injured. I'm always frustrated at folks who think a 12 or 15 yr old horse is over the hill!

One of our Stallions is 27. He still thinks he is a 3 year old. Make sure you check that his teeth are in good condition. That is what usually gives you trouble in older horses.

celestina farm":f9tx6dq0 said:
One of our Stallions is 27. He still thinks he is a 3 year old. Make sure you check that his teeth are in good condition. That is what usually gives you trouble in older horses.

I know the friend told me he gets his teeth floated once or twice a year.

If he gets his teeth floated regularly, ask if its OK if you call and talk to his vet - he'll tell you if there are any problems you need to be aware of and also suggest a proper maintenance program for the horse, since he is familiar with the animal. He'll let you know if there are any potential troubles you should be aware of and how to recognize them.

like J&T said, it depends on the horse/history, and how well they were taken care of...we have three mares who are in the 23-26 age range. one was shown in reining as a younger horse, and bred a few times. she looks like she is 12. the second mare was not taken care of at all. she is an old ranch horse, and looks the part. the final mare was strictly a brood mare, and has foaled about 15 foals. she hardly has any hair, and is ALWAYS thin.

It all depends
Like in show jumping where they dont start babys and where there are no futuritys. Well a 10YO is generally still considered green<as far as showing experience>. Around 15 to 20 they seem to be right at their best.
On the other hand I have had a trainer in another dicipline look me in the eye and laugh "a horse only has three years in them anyways"

You have asked an impossible question. The horse is a living being and there is no way anyone can predict how long he will last.

You need to ask yourself, do you want to take a chance that he will remain sound for as long as needed?

I know that many people here have and know horses that have remained sound and active for a long time. On the other hand, I know of horses that have had strokes, heart attacks and anuerisms rupturing.

Those things happen to younger horses too.

If I were you and really liked the horse, I would get a thorough veterinary soundness exam with x-rays. A girl who is in our daughter's riding club recently bought a 9 year old mare that she had been taking riding lessons on. They did not get a soundness exam. They've had the horse 2 months and she went lame. She has bone spurs in her left knee. They paid over 3K for her :(

aplusmnt":c7rujmco said:
A few months ago I posted about looking for a 4-H horse for my daughter. Well I found one that should work from a friend that his daughter has stepped up to a faster horse.

The Gelding is 20 or 21 years old though. I trust the horse and know in his current condition he would be great for my daughter. But how long could I expect him to hold together for us? He is in great shape now and hard to believe he is that old.

aplusmnt

I do not know your daughter and I do not know the horse - so instead I will tell you a tale of an old horse.

Satin - or Satan as I called her - was an old and ugly horse. She was advertized as about 20 years old. Her attitude was perfect and our kids all went through this horse.

She was - by accident - and by default due to another horse going lame - entered into a serious 4-H competition. Old and ugy, our daughter was far from happy about being forced into using her.

She was trimmed and shined and all tack cleaned.

Upon entering the ring she immediately became a new horse. She went from being an old plug into being a young and flashy horse.

She won every event she was entered in - including the team penning event. Not bad for an old horse - and was she old.

While we were there, a lady came up to my daughter - crying her eyes out. It sems that horse had been hers when she was a baby. She had proof that horse was well over thirty.

That horse was retired that year and lived in a 70 acre pasture with a couple of steady horses that would not beat her up. Every morning she came up to the kitchen window - winter and summer for several more years for her traditional two slices of bread and butter.

She would stick her head in the window and holler if we forgot her. If the window was closed she would stand outside and do the same until we fed her.

You think that horse is old - well, he may very well be. But if he is sound and you look after him, he will likely last a long time yet. Just treat him right.

Just buy him at the old meat price and you will be fine.

You will probably end up burying him on the place - old horses have a habit of "attaching" themselves to a family.

If he goes down, you will do the right thing and then call in the backhoe. And yes, it will be a memory you will never forget - but it is the circle of life.

But I can pretty much guarantee that - as I wrote above - if it is sound and you look after it - your daughter will have riding pleasure for a good number of years to come.

I will get off my memory now - it had an ending that was inevitable - and I pulled the trigger. But not until she finished an entire 5 gallon pail of oats.

Regards

Bez+

Bez+, I can relate and agree with you on old horses. Another point to consider is they must be pretty good to be kept around for that long. Also, the old adage put young with old. Young riders can learn much and gain lots of confidence with an old horse. No matter if it is 2 years or 10. When you look back it won't be the quanity of time you had with a good horse that matters it will be the quality of your time. Old horses for the most part are almost insurance policies. They are much less likely to play the fool. The only down side is if they are the right kind you maybe caring for a retiree, but you likely will think they earned it. Most times they do.

Bez+":2khjip3t said:
I will get off my memory now - it had an ending that was inevitable - and I pulled the trigger. But not until she finished an entire 5 gallon pail of oats.

Regards

Bez+

I knew there was a reason why I like you! :)

Latest posts