Long range shooters?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the rifle and scope but not the ability. I shoot a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma with an Osphrey Global 8x32x50 scope. I have it figured out to 1000 but it's capable further out. The gun is great but I'm not very accurate though.

We had a 1000 yd range here for a few years, closed now, but it was fun to go and shoot with those guys. Beyond my capability and equipment, but I could ring the steel pretty consistently at 500 and occasionally 6 if no wind.

kenny thomas":bwamvdak said:
I have the rifle and scope but not the ability. I shoot a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma with an Osphrey Global 8x32x50 scope. I have it figured out to 1000 but it's capable further out. The gun is great but I'm not very accurate though.
How do you feel about other people shooting your guns?

kenny thomas":3nay5m0e said:
How does that compare to a 6.5 creedmoor?

ez14.":3rz17clb said:
kenny thomas":3rz17clb said:
How does that compare to a 6.5 creedmoor?
It's a little flatter shooting. A little more range. It was developed as more to shoot competitive.

ez14.":2b7oyomn said:
kenny thomas":2b7oyomn said:
How do you feel about other people shooting your guns?
Other than a couple people that shot it to help line it up no one has ever ask to shoot it. But it would have to be someone I really trusted before I allowed someone else to shoot it.

kenny thomas":2e7yj59l said:
Kenny hypothetical here

You have $1000 and are building a gun for maximum range (the $1000 needs to cover everything from the gun and any modifications or add ons and the scope) so what would you get?

[/quote]
Kenny hypothetical here

You have $1000 and are building a gun for maximum range (the $1000 needs to cover everything from the gun and any modifications or add ons and the scope) so what would you get?[/quote]

Not Kenny, but I think you need another $1,000.

ez14.":2wbq2x4t said:
kenny thomas":2wbq2x4t said:
Kenny hypothetical here

You have $1000 and are building a gun for maximum range (the $1000 needs to cover everything from the gun and any modifications or add ons and the scope) so what would you get?

I got mine in a trade and bought the scope and that's about what I have in it. The 6.5 creedmore in a Ruger or a savage seems to shoot great. Probably get a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore at a decent price. Start cheap and if you really enjoy it get a better one. You can spend thousands.

A good way to start is finding the guys already shooting distance and spending lots of money. They seem to want the newest and highest even though I can hardly tell the difference. Buy their stuff cheap and help them finance the more expensive things. Soon you can build up to anything the normal person would need.

kenny thomas":x7by5xbt said:
A good way to start is finding the guys already shooting distance and spending lots of money. They seem to want the newest and highest even though I can hardly tell the difference. Buy their stuff cheap and help them finance the more expensive things. Soon you can build up to anything the normal person would need.
There is nowhere around here to shoot that far so it would be hard for me to find anyone I could do that with

ez14.":3g0f7rcf said:
kenny thomas":3g0f7rcf said:
There is nowhere around here to shoot that far so it would be hard for me to find anyone I could do that with
Where are you planning on going to shoot? 1000 yds is common here and we have a few shooting a mile. I dont even try. On a hunt lease we have in Black Mountain on the VA/KY border if I chose to try there are places to shoot out to 2 miles and farther. Waste of ammo for me to try.

kenny thomas":3a4allq3 said:
ez14.":3a4allq3 said:
kenny thomas":3a4allq3 said:
Where are you planning on going to shoot? 1000 yds is common here and we have a few shooting a mile. I dont even try. On a hunt lease we have in Black Mountain on the VA/KY border if I chose to try there are places to shoot out to 2 miles and farther. Waste of ammo for me to try.
there is a place I can get several hundred yards (it might be close to 1000 I haven't ranged it) but it is on private land so most people couldn't use it (I can though) besides that I'd like go out west with it (Wyoming Colorado area)

ez14.":f9swa9uh said:
kenny thomas":f9swa9uh said:
ez14.":f9swa9uh said:
q
there is a place I can get several hundred yards (it might be close to 1000 I haven't ranged it) but it is on private land so most people couldn't use it (I can though) besides that I'd like go out west with it (Wyoming Colorado area)
Start out slow and at 500yds or less. Move on out as you become more comfortable with it.
Your welcome to come here anytime. We have 13,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plenty of options to shoot.

kenny thomas":khrzfx7b said:
ez14.":khrzfx7b said:
kenny thomas":khrzfx7b said:
q
Start out slow and at 500yds or less. Move on out as you become more comfortable with it.
Your welcome to come here anytime. We have 13,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plenty of options to shoot.
I might take you up on that offer!

ez14.":33jmq9jj said:
kenny thomas":33jmq9jj said:
ez14.":33jmq9jj said:
You are very welcome anytime. Bear and deer season just went out so not much happens up there till Turkey season.

kenny thomas":1ofql6lq said:
ez14.":1ofql6lq said:
kenny thomas":1ofql6lq said:
You are very welcome anytime. Bear and deer season just went out so not much happens up there till Turkey season.
maybe some time in March unless a different trip I want to take doesn't work out then maybe earlier. (I'm losing my job soon and trying to find some fun stuff to do before I move on to something else)

Latest posts