Navy destroyer damaged off Japan-7 sailors missing

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":157f2w17 said:
TexasBred":157f2w17 said:
greybeard":157f2w17 said:
You would certainly know about excuses CB.
Oh lawd doesn't he. But he's still an expert on all things as long as he has google. Yes it's amazing we can develop the most sophisticated ships, planes and missles in the world.....nobody does it better...yet we still have collisions, crashes and burns and explosions.......shyt happens !!!!!! Everything is not the result of a conspiracy !!!!!

BTW that shyt coming up the ship channel is moving at a snails pace controlled by tugboats. Hardly makes a wake... Not full speed in open seas.

No it is not at a snails pace and it is not being controlled by a tug boat.
TB you show your ignorance here
Go sit on the Fred Hartman bridge and be amazed by container ships navigating a 400 foot wide channel on their own along with oil tankers and barge traffic.
What I amazed at is the excuses for the event.
Seven US servicemen lost there lives to
negligence at best.
The only time shyt just happens you can bet an operator had their head
up their a$$.
TB you might watch and get educated

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWqWgaFKhI

Well Google did it for you again. Did you notice the tugs boats?? And those tankers and container ship are really hauling azz... notice that huge wake behind that cargo ship.. the thing is hardly moving. But I forget. You operated an entire refinery, directed traffic to perfection on the Houston ship channel both coming and going and now know about ships operating on the other side of the world. CB sometimes it's better to just take a seat and wait for FACTS instead of speculation.

TB I didn't need google it was for you an inland banker.
My job for 30 years was getting a million barrels a day of crude and product shipped in and out a day. Have been on Bolivar Roads a many a time and came in with the tanker.
You can google Bolivar Roads just where a large percentage of the crude and
refined products a day move through.
TB have you ever even seen a super tanker much less on one.

Caustic Burno":314ol3g5 said:
My job for 30 years was getting a million barrels a day of crude and product shipped in and out a day. Have been on Bolivar Roads a many a time and came in with the tanker.

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time? And who ever wins what is the reward?

hurleyjd":dr98abxi said:
Caustic Burno":dr98abxi said:

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time.

Because these 2 old Farts aint got nothing better to do.

hurleyjd":217tje6b said:
Caustic Burno":217tje6b said:

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time? And who ever wins what is the reward?

I have no clue I just always figured he was jealous with a bad case of short mans syndrome

Caustic Burno":3r7ni034 said:

FAIL

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chemicals-l ... g-channel/

M-5":270atv4x said:
hurleyjd":270atv4x said:
Caustic Burno":270atv4x said:

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time.

Because these 2 old Farts aint got nothing better to do.

Observe and take notes. Someday you too can be an "Old Fart with nothing better to do"> :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

Nesikep":zp8lzfoo said:
I really have a hard time imagining what could cause this collision as well.. I mean both have radar, and you'd think both are darned well big enough to show up on it... I can only guess that someone (maybe a few of them) would have been sleeping at their post. Accidents are pretty much never caused by ONE failure, but rather the "perfect storm" of failures all put together

Texting and Navigating!

I agree, this seems pretty weird. You'd think with the technology available to our military that they'd be able to handle this.

Bolivar Roads ships have a pilot on board and aren't running 14-25 kts, and the ones I've seen have anchor lights while waiting their turn, and side deck lights on while moving into and up the channel. Inland waterways are a lot different than being in blue water.

two-container-ships-passing.jpg

https://www.tripadvisor.com..._Island_Georgia.html

Fore deck view at sunset:
13.Lightning.jpg

another, under a moon.
09.Night.jpg

Imagine no moon...

Which ship, was the burdened ship and which was required to hold course and speed?

The course of the Crystal is important to know, because the angle which it was approaching from changes whether it is the burdened (has to change course) or stand course vessel, and that also changes whether Fitzgerald is required to change course or required to maintain course. The stand course vessel is required to maintain it's heading and speed, otherwise, the burdened vessel could make the wrong course change and a collision would still happen.
The rule is, an approach more than 22.5 degree behind (abaft) the beam of the ship being overtook from the rear makes the Crystal the burdened vessel and the makes Fitzgerald the vessel being required to maintain course and speed. If you cannot see a port or starboard (red or green) light on the vessel you are approaching, then you are the overtaking/burdened vessel. Those lights are intentionally designed to only be visible from the front and from the side.
14067_142_1.jpg

I believe, it's very probable that Crystal was approaching from behind (overtaking), off Fitzgeralds starboard beam at an angle, not coming in at 90 degrees. If more than 22.5 degrees off Fitzgerald's beam, that makes Fitzgerald the privileged vessel and Crystal the burdened vessel, meaning Crystal Has to make a course/speed change while Fitzgerald HAS to maintain heading and speed.
All the damage to Crystal is on her port bow, the starboard bow is clean.
Impact above the main deck of Fitzgerald is consistent with that, while the damage below the water line also supports this.
The flooded berthing compartments are quite a few frames further forward than the impact area above main deck, and was probably caused by the bulbous nose of the Crystal's lower bow, which protrudes out in front of the main structure of the bow.

True Grit Farms":c6yxu2bl said:
The USS COLE was a guided missile destroyer and it seems like that was a forgotten memory.

US Naval vessels for decades now have had weaker hulls than their ww2 counterparts. You can sink any of them with a rowboat if you can get close enough to them. Be glad Cole was an Arleigh Burke class destroyer and not a Spruance class destroyer. Spruance class were aluminum hulled. Arleigh Burke class replaced Spruance class when the cold war ended and the DoD went to a multi role destroyer instead of having one destroyer for carrier protection, one for close in shore bombardment and another for anti sub warfare. Spruance class and Burke class are laid out almost identical inside except for differences to allow for the vertical launch systems. Berthing, galley, CIC, engine rooms are all the same places on both classes, to make it easier for shipbuilders and for crews to transition from one class to the other as the Spruances were all decommissioned.

Many people believe Cole was sitting pierside against the dock when the little boat pulled in between the pier and Cole. That's not true. Cole was there refueling, and was tied to buoys twenty or so feet from dockside. In foreign (and even in this country) the local harbor provides the small boats and crews that tend lines when a navy ship pulls into port. The small boat first went to the bow's starboard buoy, checked the lines there, rounded the bow, stopped quayside and picked up another line, then proceeded along the port side, toward the stern--nothing unusual about that anywhere in the world. But suddenly stopped amidships right outboard of where the forward engine room is, and detonated the explosives. The force ruptured the hull, with most of the force going into the engine room, and the force picked the overhead deck up, with is also the floor of the galley, where the crew were lined up for chow. That line is where most of the men died--there wouldn't have been more than 4-5 people in the fwd engine room at that time. This of course, was nearly a year before 9-11, so we weren't as suspiscious of things as we are now.

wclinbig.gif

GB. Where do ships of these dimensions and construction go for repairs? I assume the Fitzgerald can be repaired.

Bright Raven":vtu0zan7 said:
GB. Where do ships of these dimensions and construction go for repairs? I assume the Fitzgerald can be repaired.

He's googling right now, be back with an answer shortly :lol:

Ol' 243":m3dvq3wf said:
Bright Raven":m3dvq3wf said:

He's googling right now, be back with an answer shortly :lol:
:D
Nothing wrong with checking references.

Bright Raven":3517eb2s said:

Thanks to GB for the information for the rules for the road while on the water.
The USS Cole was loaded on a barge and brought to a ship yard in America for repair. Also remember the P3 aircraft that the Chinese grounded they would let us have it back but made the US cut it part outside of the production breaks. We had it back together in no time and was flying it again.

This is Arleigh Burke, lead ship of the same class Fitzgerald is. Fitzgerald is laid out the same way.

Picture of the ACX Crystal when it was riding higher in the water, showing it's lower bow.

After the collision:

Fitzgerald:
There are very few places on a USN ship with a full length mirror. The captain's cabin would be one of them:

Actually, the berthing compartments would be just a little bit further forward than where I've indicated.

I 'think' that ACX Crystal came in at an angle from astern, overtaking Fitzgerald, and if it was in the 22.5 degrees abaft Fitzgerald's beam, that makes Crystal the burdened vessel and Fitzgerald obligated to maintain heading and speed.
The big bulb at the bottom of Crystal's bow is probably what ruptured the hull adjacent to the berthing spaces forward but below where the upper bow hit Fitzgerald.

Latest posts