Navy destroyer damaged off Japan-7 sailors missing

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243":gm9ehobr said:
Bright Raven":gm9ehobr said:
GB. Where do ships of these dimensions and construction go for repairs? I assume the Fitzgerald can be repaired.

He's googling right now, be back with an answer shortly :lol:
I thought you or CB would know.?? No?
I don't know, presumably somewhere on the west coast--maybe Pearl, tho they may take it back to the yard it was built in--depends on the damage and if they want to upgrade it to a flight3 vessel. You can google what flight 1, 2, and 3 is yourself. Like Fitzgerald, my overseas home port was also Yokosuka Japan. Been in and out of there lots of times, and it was a busy place even back then.

hurleyjd":34tuoztq said:
Might not have been an accident at all.
That's always a possibility, tho remote.
Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a 'turrurist hidin behind every pine tree"

greybeard":2cmu06fs said:
Ol' 243":2cmu06fs said:
Bright Raven":2cmu06fs said:
GB. Where do ships of these dimensions and construction go for repairs? I assume the Fitzgerald can be repaired.

He's googling right now, be back with an answer shortly :lol:
I thought you or CB would know.?? No?

To mention me in the same sentence with a Legend - you do me too much honor!!!

greybeard":2k9d4uc7 said:
hurleyjd":2k9d4uc7 said:
Might not have been an accident at all.
That's always a possibility, tho remote.
Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a 'turrurist hidin behind every pine tree"

do they have pine trees in whateverastan ??? I thought its was mostly sand dunes and rocky caves

We're talking about Japan Dash.
From my days working for Kamatsu dealership WW Williams in Memphis, I know that Kamatsu translates to "little pine tree' in English.

hurleyjd":3d5jx36h said:
Caustic Burno":3d5jx36h said:
TB I didn't need google it was for you an inland banker.
My job for 30 years was getting a million barrels a day of crude and product shipped in and out a day. Have been on Bolivar Roads a many a time and came in with the tanker.
You can google Bolivar Roads just where a large percentage of the crude and
refined products a day move through.
TB have you ever even seen a super tanker much less on one.

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time? And who ever wins what is the reward?

Dry boots. :hide:

I think GB makes those Dos Equis commercials, to hear him tell it, he's the most interesting man in the world. He's been there and done that, I wanna meet the man.

Ol' 243":3inzt3ue said:
I think GB makes those Dos Equis commercials, to hear him tell it, he's the most interesting man in the world. He's been there and done that, I wanna meet the man.

Haven't done everything, just my share of everything that came my way.
I've never been much for shirking away. Never could think up an excuse I could live or sleep with.
I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Last vessel I served on. Inside, it's almost identical to Fitzgerald, except Fitzgerald has newer weapons systems and newer electronics. Same # of and model LM2500 engines in both. CIC and berthing is in the same places on both.
0596405.jpg

Above, it has ASROCs. Later, nearly a decade after I left it, it was upgraded to the VLS system and fired the very first tomahawks to start the 1st gulf war.

greybeard":10793pil said:
Ol' 243":10793pil said:

Haven't done everything, just my share of everything that came my way.
I've never been much for shirking away. Never could think up an excuse I could live or sleep with.
I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Last vessel I served on. Inside, it's almost identical to Fitzgerald, except Fitzgerald has newer weapons systems and newer electronics. Same # of and model LM2500 engines in both. CIC and berthing is in the same places on both.
0596405.jpg

Above, it has ASROCs. Later, nearly a decade after I left it, it was upgraded to the VLS system and fired the very first tomahawks to start the 1st gulf war.

I assume you served in the Navy. Not a profound assumption. You and I, from previous conversations, were both born in 1950. What years did you serve? What was your duties as a naval sailor during Vietnam? Thanks.

Feb 69-Feb 73 USMC--that's where I had my 'Vietnam Experience'. Just haulin stuff and people around. My view of the world was out that little window under the front of the stbd engine.
ch53_seastallion_vn.jpg

July 73-July 78 USN. working on vessels of all sizes and haulin different stuff and different people around. I was in Cuba when Saigon fell.

greybeard":3rsnbn8w said:
Feb 69-Feb 73 USMC--that's where I had my 'Vietnam Experience'. Just haulin stuff and people around. My view of the world was out that little window under the front of the stbd engine.
ch53_seastallion_vn.jpg

July 73-July 78 USN. working on vessels of all sizes and haulin different stuff and different people around. I was in Cuba when Saigon fell.

I can see why you would do it again. Congratulations on a great experience!

Caustic Burno":1tm4rtyp said:
:hide:
Ol' 243":1tm4rtyp said:

I have and he is ugly :hide:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

:hide: :hide:

I didn;t have the balls to ride those "shaky jakes". Once they wanted me to catch one from the America back to port and I informed them of my preference.

It's the only way to fly for me, tho I have to admit I didn't much like the ones I rode out of Morgan City and Lafayette La that PHI had back in the early 90s.

Latest posts