Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT":1sr8rifh said:
I have and,more than likely will again, shot dogs if they are bothering my livestock or aggressive toward me or my family. I have never and never will just shoot a dog that comes walking across my place. Some of you may ask why not?
1) It may be a kids pet that they care about just like I care about my cows. I would not want someone to kill my Grand sons pet so I wont kill theirs.
2) This old line ''keep em locked if you don't want em killed'' is STUPID if you have a dog, cat, bull, chicken, or any other animal they will get out some times. A tree falls over the fence some kid or some adult leaves the gate open many things can happen because things just happen.
3) paybacks can cost you a lot of money. I know a true story about paybacks that I would love to tell but can't. I will say the man that got paid back is 6' under and has a hard time killing hounds any more. for the record I WAS NOT INVOLVED. But knew the men that were. I THINK IT WAS TAKEN WAY TO FAR.
4) I try to live by the saying ''do unto others as you would have them do unto you'' It sure makes life easer with a lot less sleepless nights. I bet this Mike man would have did it different if he had it to do over.

I own several rentals, went to one last week and me and the tenant was in the yard when a Pit Bull comes and tried to bite him , pinned him against the wall, the first gun I grabbed from the PU was my old faithful .270 the dog backed down and I did not have to shoot. I could have and there would have been nothing that anyone could have done. I instead called the local police and they came out and took care of the problem. The result is I am not having to pay my attorney to fight a law suit that I would have been it the right. People can and will sue you for anything plus all the damage people can do you on social media now days. We live in a different world than what we did just a few years ago

''MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE''
KB
Hopefully someone won't get their face ripped off or worse by this dog that you didn't kill. And your lucky that the dog wasn't attacking you. Always carry a pistol in your pocket, you never know when you might see a snake.

BRYANT":1epapo5b said:
I as wondering if anyone has followed this story about a SO CALLED HUNTER who shot a mans dogs to have something to shoot. Sounds as if he has gotten him self into some hot water. I first found the story on the NHTDA Facebook page { National Hound and Tree Dog Association } he is from Belmont County Ohio named Mike Chedester from what I am reading looks like he may have 2 felonies and even serve some time. I have to say that's not as bad as two men I know of that shot a mans hound and the hunter went back and killed the men.

Happened here but a homeowner did it.... he was a major example jail fines and paid for a seriously highdollar dog

True Grit Farms":1epapo5b said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1epapo5b said:
That's as sorry as it gets.

Why? If the dogs were walked on a leash they'd still be alive. Do you let your dog's run wild? A lot of this story makes no sense to me, and the news is liberal and distorts the facts. Sure glad I'm not in Mike's shoe's though.

Dogs in my county have roaming rights and a lot do not put their dogs up at all .... EVER They do not have to be leashed just collared and tagged

BREAKING NEWS......
a Belmont county man arrived for opening day of deer season full of anticipation. He. Had worked hard all year for this hunt. Saved his money and used his only few days of vacation time for this hunt.
At daylight as the deer began to trickle out, suddenly everything scattered. To large and viscous dogs (one a DOBERMAN PINCHER)
emerged chasing a late spring fawn. The man sprang into action heroically shooting the viscous dogs and saving the fawn. His hunt though is ruined. Upon approaching the dogs he noticed they had collars. Who would own animals like these and allow them to run at large?
Wishing to avoid any confrontation the man removed the collars and hide the bodies.
But just as he was finishing he was approached by a neighbor who ask about the dogs. Being a honest man Mike admitted to the incident and even offered retribution. Wichita he didn't owe.
The dog owner who let the dogs run and play at large began to slander the Hunter on social media and liberal news networks.
The case is being investigated with possible charges being filed on the dogs owner for failing to control his animals. Hunting with dogs without a permit and Hunter harassment.
He also faces possible civil cases for slander.

As reported by fence at pulledoutmyass news.

[/quote]
Hopefully someone won't get their face ripped off or worse by this dog that you didn't kill. And your lucky that the dog wasn't attacking you. Always carry a pistol in your pocket, you never know when you might see a snake.[/quote]

Trust me no ones getting their ''face ripped off by the dog'' did you not read the police was called and came and took care of the problem. There were 3 dogs total, only one Pit, the problem was taken care of !! This was in a busy housing addition so I can see the headlines now if I had declared war on these dogs

''LANDLORD SHOOTS PITBULL- SHELL PASS THROUGH DOG AND KILLS BABY ACROSS ROAD''

if the dog had not backed off he would have been shot !! plain and simple.
I have a carry permit and carry about 99% of the time but this time fell in that 1%. I would had did the same thing if I had, had my pistol or rifle.

Hopefully someone won't get their face ripped off or worse by this dog that you didn't kill. And your lucky that the dog wasn't attacking you. Always carry a pistol in your pocket, you never know when you might see a snake.[/quote]

Trust me no ones getting their ''face ripped off by the dog'' did you not read the police was called and came and took care of the problem. There were 3 dogs total, only one Pit, the problem was taken care of !! This was in a busy housing addition so I can see the headlines now if I had declared war on these dogs

I have a carry permit and carry about 99% of the time but this time fell in that 1%. I would had did the same thing if I had, had my pistol or rifle.[/quote]
Every situation has different circumstances. There is no "one size fits all" solution to every situation.

TexasBred":z70xh5cj said:
Hopefully someone won't get their face ripped off or worse by this dog that you didn't kill. And your lucky that the dog wasn't attacking you. Always carry a pistol in your pocket, you never know when you might see a snake.

I have a carry permit and carry about 99% of the time but this time fell in that 1%. I would had did the same thing if I had, had my pistol or rifle.[/quote]
Every situation has different circumstances. There is no "one size fits all" solution to every situation.[/quote]

Pretty simple if you truly care about the dog it is not roaming causing the neighbors problems.
It is always the guy hollering my pet wouldn't kill chickens or get in your garbage that has the problem dog.
You can bet your bottom dollar they aren't vaccinated spayed or neutered either.

Last dog I shot was with #4's at about 35 yards....made him yelp just a little bit....burned his a$$ up and he never came back.

TexasBred":1bwsi2p9 said:
Every situation has different circumstances. There is no "one size fits all" solution to every situation.

Very true, it pays to try and keep your self together and not over react, or under react, and do something that you regret later down the road. Been lots of times I would have did something different if I would have just stopped for a short time to think it through.
live and learn

skyhightree1":1nyhrars said:
BRYANT":1nyhrars said:
I as wondering if anyone has followed this story about a SO CALLED HUNTER who shot a mans dogs to have something to shoot. Sounds as if he has gotten him self into some hot water. I first found the story on the NHTDA Facebook page { National Hound and Tree Dog Association } he is from Belmont County Ohio named Mike Chedester from what I am reading looks like he may have 2 felonies and even serve some time. I have to say that's not as bad as two men I know of that shot a mans hound and the hunter went back and killed the men.

Happened here but a homeowner did it.... he was a major example jail fines and paid for a seriously highdollar dog

True Grit Farms":1nyhrars said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1nyhrars said:
That's as sorry as it gets.

Why? If the dogs were walked on a leash they'd still be alive. Do you let your dog's run wild? A lot of this story makes no sense to me, and the news is liberal and distorts the facts. Sure glad I'm not in Mike's shoe's though.

Dogs in my county have roaming rights and a lot do not put their dogs up at all .... EVER They do not have to be leashed just collared and tagged

Like I said before, I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite. If a dog comes through and it's not harassing the deer or cows I don't bother them, the first time. In Georgia you cannot come on someone's property to retrieve a dog or deer without the owners consent.
I'm sure your state is different just look how the people voted. Heck VA even puts a dog's life and freedom above a kids life, or can kids in VA run loose if they're wearing collars?

wbvs58":1o97ik0i said:
Caustic Burno":1o97ik0i said:
Atimm693":1o97ik0i said:
I really dont approve of hunters that turn their dogs loose and let them go wherever. But, I understand that things happen, and dogs don't have a GPS. Had a lot of strays and neighbor dogs that show up and make a mess of our chickens or chase cows. Can't be mad at the dogs, feel really bad about shooting them, but you gotta protect what's yours.

What really irritates me is when someone dumps them off in the area. People get a puppy, lose interest when it grows up or move and can't take it with them, then drop them off out here and make it our problem

No sympathy for someone that shoots them just because. But, I'd also like to hear the other side of the story. The articles are pretty bleeding heart if you ask me.

Most states have a law that prohibits shooting dogs just because they're on your property.

Dog running loose in this part of the world is considered a target.
Surrounded by thousands of acres of hunting lease and neighbors that won't tolerate a problem. If you value your canine it better be on your place or with you.

Yes it is widely understood around here if your dog strays off your place then it might not come home.

Ken

Likewise.
Where our HQ is here in Central California, the little town we call home is only a few miles from our HQ where we live. Unfortunately, I've shot an awful lot of dogs over the years due to that. They are hell on baby calves and nearly as bad on 4wt. steers, as they don't kill them but eat their noses, ears and tails. The law is absolutely on the side of the rancher here and any dog I see trotting through our country, it's 100% my discretion or the hired man or whomever if he gets shot or not.

My Grandpa had a round with some dogs years ago. I saw some of the cows that were protecting their calves. Chewed all to hell and back. Ears in strips, tails chewed off, hips and sides, bit all over. There were three or four of them, husky/Rott/Ger Shep types. Big dogs, and mean. He tried shooting them with a .22. Basically, he ran them off a couple times but they kept coming back. He was in a somewhat remote area, and got them taken care of. They were nearly impossible to catch in the act, so he had to resort to a method that didn't require him to be there. I'm thinking he had talked to the vet he used back then about it.
My neighbors deer hunt. They are serious about their deer hunting. They will smoke a dog down faster than you can spit. I don't have any dog problems, right now.

Update on this case, I have been following it pretty close. It did not go to good for the man that shot the dogs. Judge gave him the following :
6 months in jail ; said that was the max he could under the law.
3 years probation, 500 hrs. community service at county animal shelter or 5000.00 donation, 200.00 reimbursement of the dogs, 2500.00 fine, loss of freedom to vote and loss of freedom to own a firearm, any violation he goes to prison for 2 years.
He also lost his job when this first started. This tells me you had better have a reason before you go out and start shooting doge for just walking across your place. The way it is now days people can put stories like this on the internet and people will start donating money to help fight in court and if you win it will break the bank account.

Similar thing happened here. A guy shot a man's dog after it killed some of his goats. Shot it on his property and though we have law allowing you to do this the court still hung him out to dry because the jury didn't like it. He lost his job also.

Though I think he had the right to do this I think his biggest problem was himself and how he acted about shooting the dog. He just wouldn't shut up. Showed no remorse and kept saying he knew his rights but in the end his mouth was his undoing and though I still don't agree with how the courts treated him its also hard to show sympathy to a loud mouth dumb azz and I do believe stupidity should be painful and in his case it was.

I have a neighbor I really don't care much for, but we've never had any substantial issues between us.. He has some big dogs that come wandering through, I light up their arses with lead but don't hit them.. He's exactly the kind of guy that things could go really sideways if you shot his dog

I still don't buy that nonsense, if the dogs owner was a responsible person his dogs would still be alive. A responsible person doesn't let his animals run loose on someone else's property, especially during hunting season. A varmint isn't a specific breed. According to Webster, Definition of varmint. 1 : an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law. 2 : a contemptible person : rascal; broadly : person, fellow.
I guess I just can't grasp how some folks figure, likewise I'm sure.

True Grit Farms":1mzduusq said:
I still don't buy that nonsense, if the dogs owner was a responsible person his dogs would still be alive. A responsible person doesn't let his animals run loose on someone else's property, especially during hunting season. A varmint isn't a specific breed. According to Webster, Definition of varmint. 1 : an animal considered a pest; specifically : one classed as vermin and unprotected by game law. 2 : a contemptible person : rascal; broadly : person, fellow.

The same can be said for cattle. I consider those Char bulls that can't stay at home varmint but lucky for them that's not a legal term.

Im not a fan of dogs running loose, or even untrained dogs for that matter. 95% of the muts people keep at their house I would put a bullet in. However, I don't believe it shooting dogs at first sight who are not in the act of causing a problem. If it happens multiple times or they are in the act of killing a calf or running cattle thru the fence then I have no problem with some one shooting the dog to prevent further damage.

True Grit Farms":3bmeh7ni said:
we live in a day what the courts don't really care what you or I think. PETA and animal rights groups and the tree hugger groups that's where the money is.
That being said I do not think a dog should be shot for walking across some ones property. or a bull or any livestock as for as that goes As long as its not doing damage

I agree with what both of you are saying. But the fact is the dogs owner should be at least 50% at fault also. Without his negligence those dogs would be alive today.

Latest posts