The best mouse trap bait?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have used peanut butter as bait for years, now it seems fat mice are hanging out and laughing at me. They just lick it off without sitting off the trap. What's the best bait in your opinion?

Alan

We use both of these 'baits'. 1st is peanut butter WITH a small piece of a Naco-Cheese Dorito stuck into the peanut butter (seriously) or 2nd we will use a piece of a hot dog. I have also found that mice cannot resist Hershey Kisses, but we have yet to figure out a way to successfully bait a trap with a piece of Hershey Kiss.

Katherine

Alan":30zyfkzc said:
I have used peanut butter as bait for years, now it seems fat mice are hanging out and laughing at me. They just lick it off without sitting off the trap. What's the best bait in your opinion?

Alan
Are you trying to catch em in a barn?

Bacon fat poured over the baitpan..
To get chocolate to stick to a trap,melt it.. waste of good chocolate,if you ask me :lol:

Isomade":3ddzdlt4 said:
Alan":3ddzdlt4 said:

Alan
Are you trying to catch em in a barn?

Yes, they are in my tack room of the horse barn. But I do have my only cat ( out of the 6 we have, my wife needs 5 cats :D ). So poison is not an option, or sticky pads. So looking for a fool proof bait because they are lining up and waiting for peanut butter.

Just to be 100% honest, I like this cat because she only let's me pet her or pick her up, my wife is a big time animal person but MY cat won't let her touch her without the cat taking a swing at her .... I love that cat!

Alan

We used to use wastebaskets and one of those old wooden yardsticks as a ramp up to the top of the wastebasket. Put your bait/goodies in the bottom of the basket. They climb up the ramp and drop in to get the food. They just can't get back out because of the slick sides. We used to catch a lot of them and they are caught alive. We used to use them to feed our pet snakes. Perhaps you could teach the cat where they are "stored."

Try a 5 gallon bucket with about 5 inches of water in the bottom. Put a stick from the floor to the top so the mice can walk up it . They will try to drink from it and drown because they can't get out . I use a peanut on the mouse trap . Smash it into the trigger so they have to work to get it out .

I use a 5 gallon bucket like JS and a piece of 2x4 for a ramp. Drill a hole on both sides of the bucket at the top. Put a hole in an aluminum soda can and slide it longways on a metal rod. Insert the ends of the rod into the holes at the top of the bucket so it extends across the bucket with the can in the middle. Smear peanut butter on the can and put 3-4 inches of water in the bottom of the bucket.

Mice will walk the plank to get to the peanut butter and the can rolls dropping the mice into the bucket where they drown in the water. It's the best system I have ever seen.

re poison; should be safe from your cat if you use a bait station.
My icecream container with nails in it is working very well, although I do sometimes see shreds of paper (the bait is in paper sachets) outside the box the rats apparently have never managed to lift the baits off the nails and carry them off. They're four inch nails.

These are the best and surest mouse traps I've found. You rub the bait(I use peanutbutter) into the little pugs that are the bait part. They really have to work at getting the stuff our from between the pegs and it wacks them. One of the really nice parts is it can be taken apart to 4 pieces and washed.

mouse_trap.jpg

Tractor supply carries Tomcat poison that comes with a pet proof bait station, works great . We have cats and haven't had problems. Mice devour the bait and die quickly!

slick4591":r0e03igp said:
You have six cats and a mouse problem? I'd slack off the cat food.
:D Lets see we have thousands of mice, moles, shrews, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, deer mice, not to mention birds. All 6 fat cats can handle, but finding a half eaten corpse on the porch never gets old....... And no the answer is not more cats.

Alan

The 5 gallon bucket trick is great for barn areas. If you just have a few mice in the house, the Victor electronic trap is the best out there. Looks like a little black box. Some of the smaller deer mice wont set off a spring type snap trap. The electronic one never misses, runs on AA batteries. Open it up, dump out the mouse, close it and its ready to go again.

LRTX1":1dyrrrdy said:
Stolen from the interweb
0327111105.jpg

I like it! Rainy and windy today, I see three being made this afternoon. Thanks Iso for the suggestion and lrtx1 for the stolen pic.

Alan

I second the Victor electric. When my better half came home from the feed store with one he got "on sale", I scoffed. I might have even accused him of being a crap buyer. :roll: He put in batteries and smeared a little peanut butter for bait, we were catching mice about as fast as we could empty and re-set the durn thing. We had grass seed stored in the attic of the garage and the little devils were moving in for the buffet. I was never so happy to be wrong.

Latest posts