Walmart Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on this?

April 24, 2019
By Scott Neal, SVP Meat

As we get closer to summer grilling season, backyard barbecuers are gearing up to serve hamburgers, steaks and kebabs to family and friends. You likely don't remember your last great piece of chicken, but when you're talking about a mesquite masterpiece, beef is the main event.

That's why here at Walmart, we are working to make the beef America eats better. To us, that means more transparency. Customers want freshness and affordability, but they also want to know what's in their food and where it comes from.

To answer our customer's demands, we need visibility into every step in the supply chain. So, we're working with best-in-class suppliers to create an end-to-end Angus beef supply chain:
Bob McClaren of 44 Farms and Prime Pursuits is helping us source cattle raised on family farms and ranches.
We are also working with Mc6 Cattle Feeders to feed them.
Creekstone Farms will process the cattle at their facility, where more than 250 jobs will be created.
FPL Foods will operate our case ready packing facility, where the meat gets packaged and sent to our stores, creating an additional 200 plus jobs.

Not at the moment. From a personal viewpoint I have come to where I would rather put my money into the cuts of meat
we like rather than eat through a whole critter. When the kids were still home of course it was different. ( even ate pork
on rare occasion!)
I don't know but I assume Walmart buys for Sam's ? Haven't been in either store since the Covid began
so we are back to whole beef. Did make a deal for 300# of hamburger with a neighbor. We still get groceries and what not
from WM but it is delivered free to the kibutz. Challah grits and bacon...you should try it!

Does anyone have any updates on this?

April 24, 2019
By Scott Neal, SVP Meat

As we get closer to summer grilling season, backyard barbecuers are gearing up to serve hamburgers, steaks and kebabs to family and friends. You likely don't remember your last great piece of chicken, but when you're talking about a mesquite masterpiece, beef is the main event.

That's why here at Walmart, we are working to make the beef America eats better. To us, that means more transparency. Customers want freshness and affordability, but they also want to know what's in their food and where it comes from.
A slick piece of advertising propaganda.
Thomas Foods is the #1 buyer of Nicaraguan beef and Wal-Mart and Safeway
are 2 of Thomas Foods largest customers.

IF consumers want to know where their food comes from?
Then country of origin labeling is an answer.
Bring back C.O.O.L.

Last edited:
As a consumer; if Wal-Mart is the only place you can afford to buy red meat, you probably can't afford to care what country your value tube of hamburger was born in.
That is fine. But no reason not to reinstate COOL.
Mean while back at the ranch:
Wal-Mart is bragging about how American their beef is... propaganda.

At one time Thousand Hills was thee grass fed supplier to Target stores. Target became their biggest customer. Then Target pulled the plug and started their own brand.

They never announced where the new beef was coming from??? Midwest growers who had supplied Thousand Hills took a big hit selling some of their grass fed animals to a commodity supply chain.

Last edited:
I used to work at a company that supplied Walmart. Their negotiating methods are brutal. No good old boys allowed. Their buyer would locate several competitors in adjoining rooms, going around room to room for the latest and lowest bid. A key for the buyer getting promoted would be to beat you more than their predecessor. I would pay money to see how this worked with the big four meat packers.

There are a couple defenses to this kind of beating.:
- Having a differentiated product that gives Walmart pricing power. I sense Walmart is going after CAB with their own natural version.
- Having a powerful brand that gives Walmart increased unit sales.
- Another is price fixing, but meat packers would never do that.

If the product is an important growing category, and buyer beatings are yielding diminished results, then vertical integration or off shoring are typical next steps. Are there any cheap choice beef sources overseas?

Last edited:
I am still trying to understand what information or update HDRider wants to know about Prime Pursuits, 44 Farms, and Wal-Mart.

The American Rancher on RFD-TV did a show about Prime Pursuits & 44 Farms. To get started you need to:
-have an Angus based cow herd
-raise enough calves for a semi load
-buy your bulls or AI sires from 44 Farms

There are probably a few other hoops to jump through.

I haven't bought ANYTHING from Wal-Mart or Sam's club since last February and I don't plan to ever buy anything there again.

You have to give them credit, they know how to make money. They have ruined this country.
LOL
Out all of the problems this country has, Walmart isn't in the top 100. That's just a bizarre thing to say.

44 farms is about 45 minutes east of here. Very reputable outfit. We've looked into this deal. Any small producer can be part of it. It does take about a hundred black cows and you must use 44 farms bulls and get on a pretty tight calving window. Imo a good deal for us small local hobby ranchers.
I hold no grudge with Walmart for being successful in what they do....

Latest posts