Walmart Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

So are you pro packer owned cattle and feed lots?

"Walmart buys automatic check outs and cuts some minimum wage jobs ..how many manufacturing jobs get work to build those machines" Where are those machines made?
I bet when Sam Walton started the majority of the products Wal-Mart sold were manufactured in the USA. Americans buying American made products. But that has all changed, a lot of the the American manufacturing jobs have left the country, but Wal-Mart still sells the manufactured products and is happy to have those unemployed factory workers shop at there stores. They can't afford to shop anywhere else.

I guess I'm just frustrated. Lots of good people have lost their manufacturing jobs through no fault of the own. Wal-Mart is big enough to have the purchasing power to encourage companies to stay in the USA if they chose to.
I have no problem with anyone owning cattle. And fwiw who provides more jobs than Walmart.
They provide more than any private business because they are successful and efficient.
As far as lost jobs. It's just like success nobody owes anyone a job or success. I get frustrated by people whining about those with more

One point of view - Why would anyone think that there should be limits placed on how successful a person or company can be? Or how efficient they can be? Or how many points they can score? We should put our emphasis on building people and groups UP, not holding them DOWN because others can't achieve their level of success. One of the problems the Soviet Union faced (so I am told) was a lack of motivation of their comrades. Why should they care or put forth an effort if that did not have a return? If the doctor and the trash collector make the same money, they just sit in their government furnished housing, hoping that the grocery store will have some soup bones and liquor so that they can continue their miserable life. At least that is what I remember reading, which contributed to their downfall. If there are no incentives to improve and be successful, there is little chance of improvements or success. A 75% marginal tax rate would not encourage most to seek more success.
Another point of view - I worked just as hard as that other guy. He has more than I do. It's not fair. I hope Robin Hood comes soon and takes it from him and shares it with me.
The sports comparison works well, because it's exactly an example of how the economy should work, in my opinion. Who gets the first draft pick in the NFL? The worst team from the previous season. Who gets the compensatory picks? The teams that lost the most talent in free agency. There is a salary cap to keep one team from becoming a "super squad" that continually buys the best free agents and wins. That's what makes the NFL so competitive from year to year. Bad teams keep trying because they're never that far from being competitive.

Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk aren't going to quit trying to make money just because their taxes are high. Taxing the wealthy at very high rates is no different than making the Super Bowl champion pick last in the draft. It puts them at a disadvantage, but they can afford it.

The sports comparison works well, because it's exactly an example of how the economy should work, in my opinion. Who gets the first draft pick in the NFL? The worst team from the previous season. Who gets the compensatory picks? The teams that lost the most talent in free agency. There is a salary cap to keep one team from becoming a "super squad" that continually buys the best free agents and wins. That's what makes the NFL so competitive from year to year. Bad teams keep trying because they're never that far from being competitive.

Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk aren't going to quit trying to make money just because their taxes are high. Taxing the wealthy at very high rates is no different than making the Super Bowl champion pick last in the draft. It puts them at a disadvantage, but they can afford it.
Do you think we should take all corn production above 200 bushels/acre from the better farmers and give it to those who make less than 150 bu/ac? Would they cut back on fertilizer if there was a cap on yield they get to keep or still try to maximize production? Or tax excess weaning weight on calves above 650# and give the excess to those whose calves wean below 550#? Would the producer still shoot for 700# weaning weight? Or would he shoot for 450# knowing that his shortfall would be covered by someone else's excess/success? I guess I see it different.

Do you think we should take all corn production above 200 bushels/acre from the better farmers and give it to those who make less than 150 bu/ac? Would they cut back on fertilizer if there was a cap on yield they get to keep or still try to maximize production? Or tax excess weaning weight on calves above 650# and give the excess to those whose calves wean below 550#?
Of course not. It should be based on income, and only in the extremes. The guy growing 220 bushel corn and weaning 700 lb. calves might make more than his neighbor who gets 180 bushels and 600 pound calves, but he's not making so much more that he gains an unfair market advantage. I still believe in capitalism and rewarding success. I just believe in narrowing the gap between the most and least successful. For virtually everyone on this board, that wouldn't require any change to their tax rates. I don't know why people get so bent out of shape at the idea of someone like Elon Musk, Bill Gates, or the Waltons having to pay high taxes. It will have zero impact on their quality of life or the way they run their businesses.

Of course not. It should be based on income, and only in the extremes. The guy growing 220 bushel corn and weaning 700 lb. calves might make more than his neighbor who gets 180 bushels and 600 pound calves, but he's not making so much more that he gains an unfair market advantage. I still believe in capitalism and rewarding success. I just believe in narrowing the gap between the most and least successful. For virtually everyone on this board, that wouldn't require any change to their tax rates. I don't know why people get so bent out of shape at the idea of someone like Elon Musk, Bill Gates, or the Waltons having to pay high taxes. It will have zero impact on their quality of life or the way they run their businesses.
Yes, that is a good explanation. The way I see it the large corporations get so big that they can buy support from the politicians and actually have direct influence on the legislation that benefits them.
I don't get why so many working people fall in line behind the politicians when all they are doing is setting the narrative to return the favor so to speak to their contributors.
The beef industry is a good example, the large conglomerate in many cases multinational packing companies, have direct influence on legislation that pretty much insures no real competition for them.
They sure aren't working for the betterment of the actual cattle producers.

With Wal-Mart's business practices I wouldn't want to bet the farm on anything connected with selling to them.

I've watched a couple of older businesses in town change hands in the last few years in town. One made it and one didn't. The one that made it maintain the old business model mostly adjusting it to fit themselves and the current demand. The business that failed didn't maintain some of the old standing lucrative accounts and tried to change the business model.

Small towns have a narrow base for businesses and if you try to deviate to much from whats there to work with you won't make it. Especially if you can't expand your customer base when you make changes.

A flat tax is fair. You get taxed on what you can afford to spend. Then the IRS can downsize and chase tax evaders only.

I haven't bought ANYTHING from Wal-Mart or Sam's club since last February and I don't plan to ever buy anything there again.

You have to give them credit, they know how to make money. They have ruined this country.
I don't have that option. Well, I do, but the alternative is to drive an additional 2 hours to the nearest Target. I make a point of supporting our local stores, even if it is more expensive, but they have an extremely limited inventory; sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

I never shopped at Wal-Mart until we moved here, so I'm not sure how it is in big cities or other locations, but our local store strongly supports the community by participating in &/or sponsoring fundraisers.

The average price of one pound of chicken in 2019 was $ 1,92. That's almost half of what it was in 1960.

At the same time, the beef price fell by roughly 20%. Behind the cheap prices is an industry that aggressively consolidated on the last year.

Companies like Tyson, JBS and Cargill dominated the market in the United States. The world nowadays produces more than three times the amount of meat as in 1970.

All this while more and more evidence reveals that meat production has a huge negative impact on the environment, climate and human health. And here we are: more people are eating meat because it's cheap (and delicious!), but production on an industrial level is coming at an exorbitant price.

How did we end up here? In this video, we show what is behind very cheap meat. How conditions of suppliers, workers and animals have deteriorated so the meat can be as cheap as possible. And how strong the Meat Lobby is to pressure governments and get rid of regulations.

$79 for a carton of cigarettes in Minnesota and Governor is raising it to $90
point is smokers always make it work in their budget and never skip a day
surely it can be done with food budgets too.
That is why people are eating so much chicken, and just wait under faux beef is 30 cents a pound.

Latest posts