Cattle “first aid kit”

Help Support CattleToday:

ccattleco

Reaction score
What are some items you make sure to always have on hand? I am just starting out, so I'm trying to slowly build up my kit and making sure I have most of everything I need. What size and gauge syringes and needles are used most frequently?

epinephrine. may never happen, but if an animal every goes into anaphylaxis after being vaccinated, you'll be glad you have it.
Needles, I mostly use 18ga 1". For large thicker animals, you may want 16ga 1.5".
I'm a huge fan of auto syringes. I have 50cc for larger numbers of injections, and a smaller one for giving smaller volume injections (like 2cc).
Chain for pulling calves.
Latex gloves
Short section of garden hose for bloat

calf puller, electrolyte packets, you will always need them on a Sunday evening. keep a few around. antibiotics. other than orphan calves, cattle rarely need first aid, they are either well or dead. about the only things I have ever treated cows for were hard births, pinkeye, or objects (usually bones) stuck in a mouth. there have been an occasional poison weed (?) situations, where we tried to tube feed, but that was easily rigged with a funnel, some duct tape and a length of garden hose.

some kind of sling lift might be handy occasionally.

now if you want to need a real pile of veterinary first aid products, get a horse.

for most vaccinating I use 10 cc disposable syringes and 1 inch 18 gauge needles. but I use thick one-time black leg, for other vaccines you can get by with smaller gauge for sure. mine will work for IM penicillin too.

Hippie Rancher said:
Nesikep said:
LA200, iodine, vet wrap, obstetric lube, calf puller.. I need to get some needles and thread for stitching..

oh yeah a whatever you call it - giant needle, and OB tape for prolapses.

Last time I had to do it I had no supplies on hand.. ended up using a tire plug inserter tool sharpened up good.. hey, it worked!

All great advise, but no one should own cattle without a rifle of some kind, and know how to use it. At least have a 22 rifle sitting in a truck or barn. 22 magnum is better yet.

sim.-ang.king said:
All great advise, but no one should own cattle without a rifle of some kind, and know how to use it. At least have a 22 rifle sitting in a truck or barn. 22 magnum is better yet.

Is that to hurry them into the yards ? 😀

Not really first aid supplies but I always try to keep extra floats for waterers on hand and fencing supplies. Far as first aid I keep a can of alu spray and a roll of vet wrap on hand and a vets personal cell number. A good cattle dog is also something to consider. Can't say I'd be without mine when the cows are out

Like others say...when things go wrong, is often out of business hrs....or you may be wasting time running too store when minutes count....

I have sheep and dogs etc, so you sort of end up with a bit of everything.

Fast reading small probe thermometer ***

Get a tube feeder if you will have young calves, electrolyte, an injectable mineral and energy mix...

Various syringe sizes and various needle sizes and lengths..you need quite large ones for mineral mix...i also have a few drench guns....I used one for something on a calf a while ago...

Keep various scissors and shears

Be known to your vet....or a good local vet or two, some things might be best left to them, things like iv can kill a large animal if done wrong.

I have not had to use one yet, but a down cow may need lifting...I have a jib for my tractor and would use a bulka bag and or tie down straps or lifting slings

With calves...always milk and electrolyte and tube feeder...those 3 will keep most calves alive...

I would be wary of the shotgun approach with meds....especially any antibiotics....

And the most important...is honing your observation skills to detect changes....and to be able to decide what is causing the behaviour change.....this can be hard....you miss things specially with new animals...or if they are not easily seen on a large farm...

Better yet, 2 or 3 thermometers. The batteries always seem to die when you need 'em.

Colostrum replacer, not just supplement.

Mineral oil, probiotics, scour boluses, balling gun, Vetericyn.

Penicillin, LA200/300, strong antibiotics specifically for respiratory, Vitamin B Complex, Banamine.

Lutalyse & Dex.

Hoof supplies: shears, Kopertox, file, wrap and a super strong rope.

Good working facilities!

Antibiotic, and a way to administer, whether syringe or dart, sulfa. If cow/calf, ob tape, needles, calf puller, etc etc. Most important, Patience, and a good vet's number. If you got em, you're gonna lose em eventually. Second the electrolytes and colostrum. Mostly, I use the fence stretchers. Thermometer!

greggy said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Is that to hurry them into the yards ? 😀

It's the best cure all devised by man.

All very sensible suggestions, the only one I thought that was a bit over the top was TC with her top shelf antibiotics and Dexamethasone and Lutalyse. I don't think these items are first aid however in TC's situation I will excuse her as I know she has a strong relationship with her Vet and would be using them under his guidance. The thing that you must remember with a lot of drugs they are expensive and very rapidly go past their expiry date. Also with multidose bottles once they have been opened and a dose drawn out contamination can shorten that expiry date no matter how carefull you are.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
All very sensible suggestions, the only one I thought that was a bit over the top was TC with her top shelf antibiotics and Dexamethasone and Lutalyse. I don't think these items are first aid however in TC's situation I will excuse her as I know she has a strong relationship with her Vet and would be using them under his guidance. The thing that you must remember with a lot of drugs they are expensive and very rapidly go past their expiry date. Also with multidose bottles once they have been opened and a dose drawn out contamination can shorten that expiry date no matter how carefull you are.

Ken

Ken, I got to thinking, specifically about antibiotics for respiratory, and I believe geography plays a huge role in what would be appropriate to keep on hand. Kansas weather can swing up/down 30 degrees in a matter of hours and especially the past couple years, pneumonia is always a potential threat (primarily for calves & regardless of your vaccination protocol). LA200/300 is a great antibiotic to have on hand but it makes my head hurt when someone notices a calf is "off" and automatically grabs the LA without first taking its temp and determining what is actually wrong; it's over-used, misused and won't do squat for pneumonia. Precisely why it will soon require a prescription in the US (similar to the Veterinary Feed Directive/VFD).

And absolutely, working with your vet is the best way to determine what the essentials should be for your operation.

Latest posts