Cattle “first aid kit”

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver said:
I would add to the great items listed previously ( I may have missed some listed): hemostats, catgut, scalpels, local anesthetic, surgical gloves, metacam, surgical gloves, icing sugar, oxytocin, head snare.... now that I think of it I think the list is very long....

Nah, your missing some stuff, just can't quite think of the items now, they will be in your dedicated first aid truck.

What do you keep for yourself ? I have band aids somewhere :cboy: he haw..

greggy said:
Silver said:
I would add to the great items listed previously ( I may have missed some listed): hemostats, catgut, scalpels, local anesthetic, surgical gloves, metacam, surgical gloves, icing sugar, oxytocin, head snare.... now that I think of it I think the list is very long....

Nah, your missing some stuff, just can't quite think of the items now, they will be in your dedicated first aid truck.

What do you keep for yourself ? I have band aids somewhere :cboy: he haw..

For myself mostly just Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, and anything I can think of to make my bones not hurt all the time! :lol2:

I have permanent pain in some joints, or, persistent for last 12 plus months rather , I have a very simple fix....

Get outside and shovel and shift feed till something else hurts more, or you warm up - whichever is first, I do not have time for the pain killers......lol

Either that, or get nagged to death inside or whenever stock can see you outside... :lol: :help: :hide:

Sugar? Recently read on another cattle forum to use sugar if you have a calf with a swollen tongue (from a difficult delivery/dyscotia). Coat the tongue and inside of the mouth and it will make the swelling go down and provide a little extra energy. There was some debate whether powdered sugar (because of the corn starch) or regular, granular sugar was more effective. Also sometimes used with a uterine prolapse. Don't know if it actually works but was intrigued.

TCRanch said:
Sugar? Recently read on another cattle forum to use sugar if you have a calf with a swollen tongue (from a difficult delivery/dyscotia). Coat the tongue and inside of the mouth and it will make the swelling go down and provide a little extra energy. There was some debate whether powdered sugar (because of the corn starch) or regular, granular sugar was more effective. Also sometimes used with a uterine prolapse. Don't know if it actually works but was intrigued.

Icing sugar does work to shrink a prolapse for sure.

Silver said:
TCRanch said:

Icing sugar does work to shrink a prolapse for sure.
Was at the vet yesterday (for my dog) and he confirmed sugar can help. Hope I don't have to find out first hand but good to know.

When our son was a couple of months old he had to have his tongue cut because of tongue tie. Too young for painkillers so they give them a hit of sugar that knocks them out and they don't feel it. I was always fascinated by that.

Sugar for a prolapse for sure. It reduces the swelling PLUS it gives it GRIT, so you can handle it better. Don't want to jinx myself, but I haven't seen a prolapse for maybe 30 years. It was a 2 yr old. She never had another problem after that, so obviously was not heritable in her case. I would call a vet if I had one.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Sugar for a prolapse for sure. It reduces the swelling PLUS it gives it GRIT, so you can handle it better. Don't want to jinx myself, but I haven't seen a prolapse for maybe 30 years. It was a 2 yr old. She never had another problem after that, so obviously was not heritable in her case. I would call a vet if I had one.

Uterine prolapse is not heritable and is unlikely to happen again. Vaginal prolapse is reason to cull and I personally wouldn't keep any of her heifers.

Latest posts