Idaman thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I was reading some of the "Idaman" thread this morning, what a great historical read, I didn't get to some of the videos he posted, I hope they are still there. But I just wanted let all the "newbies" know and remind anyone else that it is truly a great read, as others have said it should have been a book.

I glad he took time to share some of his life with us before he passed.

Alan

I read that thread when I first visited this forum Alan and found it very enjoyable. I can tell that he is missed very much around here. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner so I might have had the chance to converse with him.

Wow! What a remarkable man and life.
Thank you for mentioning it. I somehow missed it before now, but it's been a great pleasure to enjoy his stories on this very snowy morning.

I enjoyed Idamans thread more than any I have ever read on a forum and more than most books I have read. A true cattleman, and one that will always be remembered and missed here.

I sat here reading some of his post again and just got plain tickled,

I was really impressed with his hereford pic from the 60's, I have a Question for some of you Herf guys. Ever hear of the Pawnee Mixer from 1958, World Record Price Holding Bull. I have a pic on my wall very thick bidied bull, polled. Just Curious.

I was told his family is trying to get a book together about his life. Don't know how it is doing

Isomade":11n4hlo8 said:
I enjoyed Idamans thread more than any I have ever read on a forum and more than most books I have read. A true cattleman, and one that will always be remembered and missed here.

Interesting that he was indeed the cattleman he was and gifted with writing skills too.

How many old timers told those stories but never wrote them down? I can think of so many great old stories told at at the dominoe hall when I was a kid. They are lost - except in my memory. One old story used to make me laugh until I literally had tears in my eyes.

If his family puts that book together, I would like one for myself and would like to purchase some as gifts too.

Hopefully we can get an update. I was thinking he had a family member on the board. I also would like to have the book.

With regards to The Pawnee Mixer cattle. The line was developed by John M. Lewis and Sons of Larned, Kansas. The sons were Walter and Joe.
Joe's son Johnny was also heavily involved the last 20 years or so of the operation . After Walter and Joe's death in the 90's the herd was dispersed and Johnny ran commercial cows and sold alfalfa hay until about 2005. The operation was known as Alfalfa Lawn Farms. It was located in the fertile Arkansas River bottom west of Great Bend. They were very nice people and raised good cattle. Joe judged shows in at least 2 continents and about every show I know of in The United States. I think both Joe and Walter are members of The Hereford Hall of Merit. They were very strong supporters of youth and held an annual Field Day at their Farm for many years. Joe loved to show cattle. I always remember how organized their operation was . When they loaded their truck and trailer there was a place for everything and everything was in its place. I think the home place was that way too.

Latest posts