Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

After some research I cannot find the breeder of E468 as it just lists me as breeder and I know that is not correct. Interestingly if you go back far enough his pedigree looks identical to Franlin Nashs' old pedigrees and also Carl Martins'.

Here is a link to his pedigree on the AHA web-site:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5B5C5925592722212D&9=5E5F5E

I'm not sure who bred his sire, Superior Anxiety 62. Superior 99 was a Burnham herd sire (bred by Jack Bradford) and I'd bet 62's dam is a Dulaney cow, but all those breeders were congregated together around the Sweetwater, TX area and any number of them could have actually raised that calf before selling him to Barney Carter. I would bet O.R. Burnham did.

E468's dam appears to be Mousel breeding all the way.

George

Edited to add: Now if we could get Jim Lents into this discussion we could probably get the history all the way back to Gudgell and Simpson! :lol:

Jim Lents - come on in the water's fine but a little hot at times.

Palo Pinto does ring a bell. I knew there were some Ps in the name. and that probably leaned me toward Pied Piper. I would love to see that catalogue. I just wish there were some more of those cattle around. It could be that having the L1s wipe out all those old lines is what makes me resist them. Although I know they are great cattle.

Idaman":5pthi1km said:
Jim Lents - come on in the water's fine but a little hot at times.

Jim Lents used to occasionally post in a Yahoo! Group (Linebreeding) that I found. There was a wealth of information in that group's posts. One day the group owner just decided to delete the group. I was so mad that I hadn't just saved all those posts for reference. I never dreamed that he'd just "zap" the group.

Roland Lang has all the old Anxiety 4th records and stuff that John Montgomery had, but Jim's the expert - particularly when you start talking about the Mousel cattle.

George

Idaman":gpjos528 said:
Palo Pinto does ring a bell. I knew there were some Ps in the name. and that probably leaned me toward Pied Piper. I would love to see that catalogue. I just wish there were some more of those cattle around. It could be that having the L1s wipe out all those old lines is what makes me resist them. Although I know they are great cattle.

Yep, it didn't take long before everyone was using Line 1 or Line 1 cross bulls and most all of the other lines disappeared. I think J C Tinsley may still have one registered Anxiety 4th cow that traces back to our old Anxiety 4th herd. The rest were victims of the Line 1's, or Angus and Limousin bulls. When the AHA imposed the yearly fee, our neighbor, who had acquired the bulk of the best of our cattle from Daddy, decided to quit registering them and ended up using a black Angus bull. And Daddy's frustration in the inability to find a straight Anxiety 4th bull to continue with his program resulted in me coming home to find a Limousin bull out running in the pasture. To Daddy, that Limousin bull was no more "impure" than a Hereford bull of any other bloodline.

George

>>Try Deewalls<<

Hard to buy advertising that good! LOL!

I hope the Deewalls will give their thoughts. And I do not mean this as a bash in any way. I myself very well could buy a Deewall bull(s) in the future.

I think those bulls are more Anxiety 4th type bulls. Deewall's current stock is basically (Please feel free to correct me as I don't (obviously) have access to pedigrees to all the Deewall cattle) another branch of Line One since they are mostly linebred to the bull "the Arrow". 'the Arrow' was a Carlson bred bull. Carlson was a line one breeder who dispersed several years ago. I believe I have read on this site that 'the Arrow' was eight generations removed from Advance Domino 20 who was one of the two bulls that originated the line one cattle at Miles City.

The pictures I have seen of the Deewall cattle are impressive but not quite as muscular as those two bulls. I have had discussions with two breeders I admire who have a close link to the Deewalls. One actually uses a Deewall bull. He has had nothing but positive reports. My favorite Deewall sire was sold a year or two ago. I think he was 918?

Back to the pictures, I like the 086 and 125 bull as well!

My 4019P Bull that I posted pics of had a butt like that. He was linebred with BLL Brigader 41E on both sides of his pedigree and Dunn breeding from Manitoba way. But man I like them two bulls!

Having been raised with commercial Herefords, I will always have a soft spot for them! Thanks, Idaman for some great stories. I hope there's more coming soon. :clap:

Knersie,

Thank you for the welcome. When Jerry told us that he had seen you on his "Southern Trip" and how much you had followed Dad's breeding program, we were so surprised . I called my Mother, brothers and sister and relayed that story to them. We all thought that Daddy would have had been so surprised that someone on a different continent would be interested in his program.

WichitaLineMan,

About the Deewall pedigrees going back to Advance Domino 20. Pres. Mischief 68 was born on the Nash ranch in 1954 (was bred by my grandfather, Walter Nash). The 68th was on Dad's list of the top six bull he had ever seen, during his lifetime. 68's mother traced directly back to Advance Domino 13, the sire of Advance Domino 20.
The sire of 68 was Pres Mischief 33, who traced back to Anxiety 4th through Tonie Mischief, a bull that my Grandfather bred, and Beau Mischief. Pres Mischief 33's mother was also a granddaughter of Advance Domino 13. My Grandfather purchased Advance Domino 84, a son of Advance Domino 13, from Fred DeBrard in 1934 or 1935.

The AB Misch O86 bull, pictured on the previous posts, was a son of the 68, and one of Dad's favorite bulls. He produced many really nice daughters , which are in the pedigrees of our cattle today. ADV Z 146(which has been pictured recently on the boards this spring) traces back to the 68th in 4 generations. Adv Z146 appears in the pedigree in most of our current herd.

I think the bull that you are referring to as 918 , recently, is D Advance 908, which is a Great grandson of The Arrow. 908's grandam traces back to Pres Mich 68 in 3 generations. We did sell 2 interests in that bull, but still have a semen interest. As we stated in an earlier post, we feel the 2 lines had nicked quite nicely.

I sure hope all you folks can go on with stories. This has been one of the best threads in CT since I have been reading here.

backhoeboogie":54fmpry7 said:
I sure hope all you folks can go on with stories. This has been one of the best threads in CT since I have been reading here.

Without a doubt!

Pardon my interuption of this Sanctum Sanctorum but I had a Deewall bull on the place last night for about 15 min.He was no 125 but I was very impressed with his front end and overall balance.He was a little sheepish around all those Shorthorns and jumped right back on the trailer to finish his trip to Indiana.

R.N.Reed":8u8s1dex said:
Pardon my interuption of this Sanctum Sanctorum but I had a Deewall bull on the place last night for about 15 min.He was no 125 but I was very impressed with his front end and overall balance.He was a little sheepish around all those Shorthorns and jumped right back on the trailer to finish his trip to Indiana.

I suppose that means that KMac has successfully transported back from "the dark side"! If the bull was sheepish around Shorthorns, he may be REAL skittish around all those black cattle! :lol:

George

Latest posts