Squeezing the Customer

Help Support CattleToday:

Slick, you might mention the fact that it is customary for the seller to provide health certificates. If she is a lawyer, she is probably new in the cattle business.

BC":wqltnx3m said:
Slick, you might mention the fact that it is customary for the seller to provide health certificates. If she is a lawyer, she is probably new in the cattle business.

That's what I told her and she blew me off. Just said that was the way she had always done it and I was the first to question her about it.

What made these heifers so great that you would drive half way across the United States and put up with her. Just wondering

Some top genetics in the breed. This lady works directly with the Italians and has the inside track on their genetics. I believe these animals will help establish the herd I'm after, so that makes it worth it to me.

Side note:
Coming in yesterday I had two trailer tires go south on me. That cost us a couple hours travel time. Got to the motel around 10:30 EST and got about 6 hours sleep.

Her hand didn't have his stuff together and that took an extra hour getting loaded. Clearing Atlanta was very much like Dallas traffic. Oh, I'm light one heifer as one of the ones my buddy wanted aborted a couple days ago. Next stop Forest, MS.

West bound and down. Loaded up and trucking. Hope the remainder of your trip treats you more favorably my friend. How'd you like the GA heat and humidity?

Heat was cooler than home and the humidity was a bit higher. All in all not that bad. Looking forward to a good trip home tomorrow.

It's all over now. Made it home with zero problems, except for my partner having a tea cup for a bladder. We didn't pass any rest stops on the way back he took advantage of the only fuel stop. Anyone going that I 20 and needs to overnight cattle I highly recommend Tadlock Stockyard in Forest, MS. They didn't want to charge for board with water and hay, but I got to make two young men happy for their help.

I was astonished at this operation because my expectations were much higher than what I saw. Her cattle are not worked with and are not used to people, which Pieds are known for their docility. She admitted that she never allows anyone out of the golf cart when she goes to the pasture. Nice cattle, but not nice to work with.

I just said I was not used to added fees at the end of the deal while handing her the $60. She grabbed the money and turned me over the hired hand, then took a turn and left not to be seen again. It doesn't look like I'll be returning her way again.

slick4591":lae8k2g1 said:
It's all over now. Made it home with zero problems, except for my partner having a tea cup for a bladder. We didn't pass any rest stops on the way back he took advantage of the only fuel stop. Anyone going that I 20 and needs to overnight cattle I highly recommend Tadlock Stockyard in Forest, MS. They didn't want to charge for board with water and hay, but I got to make two young men happy for their help.

I was astonished at this operation because my expectations were much higher than what I saw. Her cattle are not worked with and are not used to people, which Pieds are known for their docility. She admitted that she never allows anyone out of the golf cart when she goes to the pasture. Nice cattle, but not nice to work with.

I just said I was not used to added fees at the end of the deal while handing her the $60. She grabbed the money and turned me over the hired hand, then took a turn and left not to be seen again. It doesn't look like I'll be returning her way again.

Glad you got em home Slick. All is Ga folk ain't like that high falutin rich woman lawyer :lol2: I guess the heifers look good and you're proud of what you got?

slick4591":2xsxvkxt said:

I hope those heifers turn out to be what you hoped for, and better.

JMJ Farms":1d90k0mv said:
slick4591":1d90k0mv said:

Glad you got em home Slick. All is Ga folk ain't like that high falutin rich woman lawyer :lol2: I guess the heifers look good and you're proud of what you got?

Thanks! Pretty sure I already knew that. Just chalk it up a learning experience for me. Before we got there she told me on the phone about the heifer that aborted and repeated her conversation with Frank about it. I made the comment about we always draw blood on them anyway just to know where we stand with them and she again acted offended. Just told her it was standard with us just like luteing heifer calves. Guess she thinks her word is the gospel or something.

To tell you the truth I haven't had a good chance to give them a good look yet. They had them in a pen when we got there and they wadded up as soon as we got out of the truck. Stayed that way until they got in the chute and loaded so fast there wasn't much of a chance to look. Same thing when I unloaded at my pens. Back to the far corner they went and stayed grouped up. Guess I get to look at them closer in a day or two. I sure I hope like them. :lol2:

JMJ Farms":1rrfckn8 said:
I'm sure a few buckets of feed will tame them right in down for you.

I'll be letting them out in a day or two so they can join the others. Star feeding some cubes and will get them used to me. It's always worked so I'm not worried.

pricefarm":1rrfckn8 said:
Post a pic of them if you can I would sure like to see what those high dollar heifers look like.

That won't be a problem 'cause I'm going to anyway, but most folk here don't care for the breed. These fullbloods don't fit the commercial standards and are docked at the barns.

slick4591":3kyz4ykz said:
JMJ Farms":3kyz4ykz said:
I'm sure a few buckets of feed will tame them right in down for you.

I'll be letting them out in a day or two so they can join the others. Star feeding some cubes and will get them used to me. It's always worked so I'm not worried.

pricefarm":3kyz4ykz said:
Post a pic of them if you can I would sure like to see what those high dollar heifers look like.

That won't be a problem 'cause I'm going to anyway, but most folk here don't care for the breed. These fullbloods don't fit the commercial standards and are docked at the barns.

Your brave. :) I think I would put and old dependable cow in with them to help them settle for a while... in the pens. Being that you didn't see them actually get penned it may be a circus trying to catch them again.

I'll be moving out one of the heifers and a yearling bull from their pen on Saturday so they'll need company after that. The home girls and bull should satisfy that urge as I'll feed the all in the pens before turning out to the pasture. It's always worked in the past.

I am looking forward to seeing them as I am assuming that you saying they don't fit the commercial standards is because they are heavily and /or double muscled? I like that, so I will appreciate it if they are nice. I am not into some of what the BB are; like some of what Lithuanian posted, but I like seeing more muscling in the rumps and shoulders. I like the way Lithuanian is getting their cattle bred up with good defined muscling from starting with the dairy cross animals. I wish we could get a decent price for colored cattle but it is "BLACK" here..... and other than some smokies, anything else takes a big hit. Maybe crossing some pieds would add in the muscling without hurting the color too much.....

Latest posts