Squeezing the Customer

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":raajl4j8 said:
I just don't understand the seller. We sell bulls and heifers off the farm each year and by the time they are ready to be purchased they are accustomed to being around people and 100% feed bunk broke.

That lady should be ashamed.

That's the way I feel. Dang sure don't want to sell any animals that'll hurt someone without full disclosure.

bbirder":raajl4j8 said:
Slick,
Post everything you can about her and her operation. The truth and nothing but the truth. It's got to get around to other potential buyers and affect her operation. Whenever someone googles her farm they may read posts that affect her sales. Anyone who handles their animals and customers that way does not belong in the business.

But, she is an attorney. No.......we won't change this thread to a joke thread. :bang:

This has kept me awake most of the night and I've decided to forgo an assassination on her. I got a message from Frank yesterday evening that they put the animal down as they could not find anyone to process her. He asked me to not say anything about this to the lady until he got his money back on the other heifer from her. Then, I'm sure Frank will unload on her.

I get calls and when I haven't been able to help a customer I've referred this lady and a few others to them. Her farm will not be recommended ever again by me for anything. When I'm asked about her I'll tell the entire truth, but won't go out of my way to do it.

slick4591":1snb0dgs said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1snb0dgs said:
I just don't understand the seller. We sell bulls and heifers off the farm each year and by the time they are ready to be purchased they are accustomed to being around people and 100% feed bunk broke.

That lady should be ashamed.

That's the way I feel. Dang sure don't want to sell any animals that'll hurt someone without full disclosure.

bbirder":1snb0dgs said:
Slick,
Post everything you can about her and her operation. The truth and nothing but the truth. It's got to get around to other potential buyers and affect her operation. Whenever someone googles her farm they may read posts that affect her sales. Anyone who handles their animals and customers that way does not belong in the business.

But, she is an attorney. No.......we won't change this thread to a joke thread. :bang:

This has kept me awake most of the night and I've decided to forgo an assignation on her. I got a message from Frank yesterday evening that they put the animal down as they could not find anyone to process her. He asked me to not say anything about this to the lady until he got his money back on the other heifer from her. Then, I'm sure Frank will unload on her.

I get calls and when I haven't been able to help a customer I've referred this lady and a few others to them. Her farm will not be recommended ever again by me for anything. When I'm asked about her I'll tell the entire truth, but won't go out of my way to do it.
Just further proof of what type of person you need to be, to be a lawyer.

Any chance these animals were lightly drugged for you to be able to get them in the trailer and travel to your farm?
Maybe you need to have some serious discussions with Lithuanian to see if you can get some connections to some of these genetics over there?
What a mess and such a shame for your friend. Were you wanting to do some ET work with these bought ones? That is a scary thought with the way they are acting now.
I am so sorry that it is turning out this way. I cannot imagine anyone selling animals that are so unmanageable.

Really sorry for your misfortune slick and appalled by how this breeder has treated you. Good guess she's capitalizing on the rarity of the breed and NO disrespect intended, gullibility and enthusiasm of her clientele. :frowns: Clearly, she's despicable and a discredit to the breed.

farmerjan":2lzs3j0f said:
Any chance these animals were lightly drugged for you to be able to get them in the trailer and travel to your farm?
Maybe you need to have some serious discussions with Lithuanian to see if you can get some connections to some of these genetics over there?
What a mess and such a shame for your friend. Were you wanting to do some ET work with these bought ones? That is a scary thought with the way they are acting now.
I am so sorry that it is turning out this way. I cannot imagine anyone selling animals that are so unmanageable.

Thanks, but I'm not sure if ET stuff will be back on my plate again. I don't think they were tranq'd as they were pretty wild eyed at her farm too. Makes sense to me now that she had her pen full with extra heifers so they didn't have the room (like I have in my pen) to act so crazy.

Slick, SEO (search engine optimization) with the use of appropriate key words, can work well for you to communicate the practices of this breeder, without ever mentioning a name. CT places very high on search engine results.
If you're simply relaying the facts of your experience, with a Piedmontese breeder located in the Southeat US, without passing judgement or otherwise disparaging an individual, there is no hint libel.

CottageFarm":memjo2ax said:
Slick, SEO (search engine optimization) with the use of appropriate key words, can work well for you to communicate the practices of this breeder, without ever mentioning a name. CT places very high on search engine results.
If you're simply relaying the facts of your experience, with a Piedmont breeder located in the Southeat US, without passing judgement or otherwise disparaging an individual, there is no hint libel.

So that's how search engines work?

Today I turned the two out with the others and it seems like it went pretty well. Fed my girls in the pen with them then left the gate open. It took about 20 minutes before they all came out with the new girls being the last two. They all stayed together for the most part but the new girls ranged out a little only to returned to the others. I felt good enough after a while to leave.

This is the only pic I got the other day as they wouldn't stand still long enough to get anything good. I'll go back a little later and take the good camera with the long lens to see what I can get.

slick4591":1v5ouvsl said:
Good or bad these are them. Looks like I need to get a better look at the utter on the one in the rear.
I agree, from what I can see in the picture, her udder doesn't look too swift. Other than that, they are decent looking animals.

I'm not overly impressed but not really disappointed. I want to see them in about 2-3 weeks after they have had a chance to calm down, eat and get relaxed ( is that possible?) in your surroundings. I cannot enlarge the picture on my old computer, so will not comment on the udder. I do like the rump on the 2nd one more, but they look a little drawn up from the travel and being so nervous and uptight. Hopefully you can employ your "cow whisperer" techniques and they will calm down for you.

Thanks for your comments. I'm planning on starting to get them used to me as soon as it dries a bit around here. I don't think the three days in the muddy pens did them any favors, but time will tell. I didn't see the ones udder until she was turned out and then only from a distance. She is due in March so I'm discounting the fact that could she could be starting to show a little bag this early. Hardest part of getting you more pics will be remembering. :lol:

slick4591":menhwgid said:
Thanks for your comments. I'm planning on starting to get them used to me as soon as it dries a bit around here. I don't think the three days in the muddy pens did them any favors, but time will tell. I didn't see the ones udder until she was turned out and then only from a distance. She is due in March so I'm discounting the fact that could she could be starting to show a little bag this early. Hardest part of getting you more pics will be remembering. :lol:

Did you have them pregnancy tested or just take her word for it. A cow that has aborted the fetus will bag up little also you might check the udder may have mastitis.

I have to take her word for it for the moment. I told her that I would draw blood to confirm and again she sounded offended. Just told her it was normal course for me to make sure I was where I needed to be. As soon as I can get them back to the barn I'll work them as mine need it too. Thanks for the suggestion!

slick4591":1i1dwxjw said:
I have to take her word for it for the moment. I told her that I would draw blood to confirm and again she sounded offended. Just told her it was normal course for me to make sure I was where I needed to be. As soon as I can get them back to the barn I'll work them as mine need it too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Let us know how that goes. I sure hope they calm down for you.

If she sold them to you as pregnant, they should have had that included in the vet papers needed to travel across state lines. When we buy anything that is "pregnant" they need to have been vet checked preg or have a qualified blood test results. Otherwise they are "exposed" but not confirmed pregnant. At this point they would be only 3+ months, so certainly should not have any udder. The only other thing would be if she had aborted before and had a bit of an udder left over. One other thing, and it is not good to even contemplate, is if there was another animal in the group that was a sucker.... it could ruin udders on what was being sucked.

farmerjan":2swhvkbk said:
If she sold them to you as pregnant, they should have had that included in the vet papers needed to travel across state lines. When we buy anything that is "pregnant" they need to have been vet checked preg or have a qualified blood test results. Otherwise they are "exposed" but not confirmed pregnant. At this point they would be only 3+ months, so certainly should not have any udder. The only other thing would be if she had aborted before and had a bit of an udder left over. One other thing, and it is not good to even contemplate, is if there was another animal in the group that was a sucker.... it could ruin udders on what was being sucked.

I've looked over these vet papers closely a few times and don't find where there's a pregnancy status to check. When I went to the farm today I was in a lucky position where they were standing on the tank dam while I was below them on the road. Had my field glasses with me and got a good look at that udder. There's no redness or anything that looks inflamed. The bag is not uniform, as in the front is more full than the back, but both fronts look the same. Since I know I can probably be in the pasture and they are more likely to stay in it, I'll start throwing down cubes tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn't mean that the shipping papers should have the pregnancy status, just that the seller should have included a pregnancy confirmation by the vet, ALONG with the shipping papers. In other words, any and all vet information you might need for the heifers to be included with any shipping papers...so you have a complete profile and health status of the heifers. It seems you sure paid enough for them, the owner sure should have made sure that anything you could have possibly wanted was right there in black and white.

Latest posts