Squeezing the Customer

Help Support CattleToday:

She been doing this long?

My guess, her days are numbered.

How about a pic, of the heifers, not the cow.

HDRider":1rkgn2of said:

She started with Pieds in 1998 and I have no clue how her business practices were until my deal. The pictures will depict the two heifers at my place, not a Georgia cow. :lol:

Sometimes you just gotta raise what you like.. :) ... and there is always someone who also likes them and there are breeding stock sales.... like me with my dairy cows that I use as nurse cows. After the second generation cross with beef, the calves are nice, have some of the milkiness of the dairy, like Lithuanian says, yet the calves are pretty beefy. And you raise some purebred.... And some areas of the country do not discount for color as much.... besides things run in cycles, and eventually there will be a return to "other colors" as being good beef animals. I love belted galloways yet they aren't worth the powder to blow them to he// around here... but I plan to have 2 or 3 in the next year or so and will use the bull calves for beef... Maybe cross them on my jerseys and make my own "belted" dual purpose cattle.... :clap: :clap: :nod: :nod:

pricefarm":2rc4b23c said:
I have never heard of this breed ? What are your plans with them if they don't sell good commercially?

Look up piedmontese... they are a nice looking breed and supposed to have good dispositions. Not extreme like some of the french and italian breeds of double muscled, like the belgian blues and others. Even some of the limousins are considered double muscled. There has been some testing of the tenderness of the meat fibers in the double muscled breeds and they do add alot of "meat" to the calves. But I am not the expert to ask these questions of.

slick4591":2j7j3oto said:
HDRider":2j7j3oto said:

She started with Pieds in 1998 and I have no clue how her business practices were until my deal. The pictures will depict the two heifers at my place, not a Georgia cow. :lol:
I'm going to find out about her tomorrow. We have a workshop with a UGA vet that does travels to Nebraska twice a year to do ET and AI work at Great Plains Beef. I'm sure he'll know what her story is.

pricefarm":27mfjvxm said:
I have never heard of this breed ? What are your plans with them if they don't sell good commercially?

I apologize if I implied they were not useful commercially. What I meant was they are not what the standard commercial (Angus, etc) people are looking for. There is a market for their beef in the niche market because of their naturally lean meat. They are lower in cholesterol, higher in Omega3, naturally tender with a very good flavor. The breed is raised from Canada to South America and survives well in all the climates between, besides being naturally insect resistant. Lighter bone and double muscled usually means more product. I sell fullblood animals and market to people that want to raise half bloods (1-copy Myostatin) and fullbloods (2-copy).

Thanks, Jan for your explanations.

I was out there earlier checking on them and thought I might get a picture or two. No way as these animals are nothing short of scared to death of me. I couldn't get very close as I was afraid they would clear the lot fence. I did get to look at them a little better and looks like I'll be very happy with my two purchases once I get them calmed down. If we get the two cut out tomorrow with out incident I'll take Brute's advice of putting a couple of my girls in with them for a day or two before turning them out. These girls are a larger frame size than what I've been raising, but they will work.

slick4591":2r98dc2n said:
JMJ Farms":2r98dc2n said:
but most folk here don't care for the breed. These fullbloods don't fit the commercial standards and are docked at the barns.

That doesn't mean they aren't good looking cattle! There used to be a few breeders of Pieds, not far from here. They were some pretty impressive looking animals. The bulls looked like body-builders. I thought their color was pretty neat.

But yes, you are correct that they don't do very well at the sale barn. One of the breeders used to sell the meat, direct to the customer.

Workinonit Farm":c8a90jg2 said:
slick4591":c8a90jg2 said:
JMJ Farms":c8a90jg2 said:
but most folk here don't care for the breed. These fullbloods don't fit the commercial standards and are docked at the barns.

That doesn't mean they aren't good looking cattle! There used to be a few breeders of Pieds, not far from here. They were some pretty impressive looking animals. The bulls looked like body-builders. I thought their color was pretty neat.

But yes, you are correct that they don't do very well at the sale barn. One of the breeders used to sell the meat, direct to the customer.

There's still plenty doing that. Larger companies like Certified Piedmontese are doing it on a larger scale. I have a guy near me raising and selling by the package at trade days and out of his home. Seems to be making a few bucks and worth his time.

Guys came today to get their animals and things went to shyt real quick. Got Frank's heifer and the bull separated from mine and in the barn when the heifer decided she didn't like my barn. She turned and hit the gate I use for a sweep so hard it broke a hinge off and by some miracle I was able to keep the gate off of me. I managed to keep the bull in and got him loaded and locked in the front part of the trailer.

Went back and got the heifer and when she got in the ally she went crazy! Let her settle some then ran her into the chute and in the trailer. First flippin' thing she did was to try and jump the middle gate. Her foot slipped to the hinge side and hung causing a compound fracture. Took us forever to get her leg out. First time I wanted to just sit down and :cry2: since I started messing with cattle.

Dang it man it's got to get better. I never got to specifically ask Dr Lee Jones about her today, but he told me Beaver Creek has some good cattle. He must of meant good and wild cattle.

slick4591":s339r9g6 said:
Her foot slipped to the hinge side and hung causing a compound fracture. Took us forever to get her leg out. First time I wanted to just sit down and :cry2: since I started messing with cattle.

:eek: :( Oh no! :frowns: I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm assuming that she has gone to the big pasture in the sky. :(

I sure hope that your settle down and become manageable, and eventually easy to work.

Sounds like a rough day, for all involved.

Last I knew they were trying to find a processor to take her to, but if they didn't that was their plan. I haven't heard from them since they left.

I just don't understand the seller. We sell bulls and heifers off the farm each year and by the time they are ready to be purchased they are accustomed to being around people and 100% feed bunk broke.

That lady should be ashamed.

Slick,
Post everything you can about her and her operation. The truth and nothing but the truth. It's got to get around to other potential buyers and affect her operation. Whenever someone googles her farm they may read posts that affect her sales. Anyone who handles their animals and customers that way does not belong in the business.

Slick,
Post everything you can about her and her operation. The truth and nothing but the truth. It's got to get around to other potential buyers and affect her operation. Whenever someone googles her farm they may read posts that affect her sales. Anyone who handles their animals and customers that way does not belong in the business.

But, she is an attorney. No.......we won't change this thread to a joke thread. :bang:

Latest posts