Sub Q ?'s

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I'm looking to use injectable wormer . I know it should be given SubQ , which I understand is under the skin . I am unsure about administering this correctly . Any advice will help , Can someone tell me more about the right way to do this ?

Plenty od loose skin on the neck, as stated pull some skin up and poke the needle in, should feel a sort of pop when the needle gets threw the skin and it's easy to tell if you start to go into muscle. If I'm doing a large dose like what Ivomectin or la200 requires I may spread the dose around in two or three spots. I'll also massage the injection site in hopes of eliminating a large bump at the injection site that seems to last for months. Also a problem I have every once in a while is sliding the needle under the skin and out again without realizing it until I notice the meds running down the shoulder. :oops:

Just pull out the skin with a pinching motion and slide the needle into the skin between your fingers and the neck. When giving sub-q we use a short needle.

Alan, you are not the first one to have the needle double puncture.

I wrote this a long time ago - but this is how I do needling - works for me:

Squeeze her up real tight, target the triangle close to the shoulder back as far as possible along the top side of the neck, slap her quick and hard two or three times in the same spot with the back of your hand and hit her fast with the needle - she will likely not even feel it. No chance to lose the drug by sticking it out the other side of the tent.

Work BEHIND the head gate and in front of the shoulder.

Sub q - hold the needle like you are holding a knife for a downward stab - point the syringe and needle down - slide the needle in parallel to the neck between the skin and the meat - and push the plunger with your thumb - takes about three seconds total. Tenting is a time waster and increases the difficulty if you are doing lots of cattle. The other advantage is it only takes one hand to do this.

Intra-muscular - put the needle between your forefinger and your middle finger with the plunger in your palm.

IM - small dose - I use a 3/4 inch needle - go straight in and push the plunger with the palm of your hand - takes about two seconds

IM - big dose - no more than ten cc to a dose - I use a one to one and a half inch needle - same thing - a couple of additional seconds and you are done - if it is a thick liquid I will change to a stab and stab straight in and then push with my thumb.

Some folks use a longer needle - choice is yours - movement on a longer needle can cause it to bend.

I tend to use 20 gauge for sub q and 18 - 20 for IM

Works for me and I have done as many as a couple hundred a day.

Stay away from the head and work just in front of the shoulder

The trick is the tight squeeze and work back towards the shoulder- she does not like you and does not have any feelings for you - so do it fast - get the job done and kick her out - on to the next one

Best to all

Bez

M-5":3lntf7it said:
Big Cheese":3lntf7it said:
What happened to just giving it in the hip?

Giving IM in the hip was discouraged a while back from what I was told because Of tissue damage. Sub q is more difficult in the rump in my opinion

M-5 is correct.

All cattle organizations (at least the ones I have heard of) have agreed that the neck is the preferred location due to tissue damage and to broken needles being left in meat.

Lots of info on this should you choose to do a Google search

Cheers

Big Cheese":1mtdz27u said:
What happened to just giving it in the hip?
Lets say you were killing your own beef and you may be. Would you rather have a damage in a very high dollar steak from the hip or a piece of the neck. As Bez says nobody gives shots in the hip anymore. Every shot should go in the triangle of the neck. Below the muscle that runs along the top to hold the head up. If given in that area high on the neck it just stays there and offers no protection.

I've always given sub q in the skin behind the shoulder. Easy to access, doesn't seem to bother the cow as much, and it's a very active location. Cows don't seem to get as excited as I'm almost behind them and I've never seen it cause a knot under the skin. Another location is hte large fold of skin on either side of the tail head.

TexasBred":2k0xshsk said:
I've always given sub q in the skin behind the shoulder. Easy to access, doesn't seem to bother the cow as much, and it's a very active location. Cows don't seem to get as excited as I'm almost behind them and I've never seen it cause a knot under the skin. Another location is hte large fold of skin on either side of the tail head.
I know people that does it this way also. But hard to tell newbee's how to do it right.

Latest posts