Banned Users

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":20x9ns1u said:
callmefence":20x9ns1u said:
If tuxedo got to keep his handle the punishment Should be fitting.
Since someone is obviously got to do it due to recent events. I say he's the one . Tux you got less than three years to seduce Oprah.
#metoo

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
You can practice on your sister in law first.

True Grit Farms":3tmepat4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3tmepat4 said:
callmefence":3tmepat4 said:
If tuxedo got to keep his handle the punishment Should be fitting.
Since someone is obviously got to do it due to recent events. I say he's the one . Tux you got less than three years to seduce Oprah.
#metoo

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
You can practice on your sister in law first.

I'd sooner seduce the chubby one.

What this forum needs is a block like FB. Here, if you don't want to see what someone says, you can put them on foe..But, if someone quotes them, you see what they said. If you get put on block on FB, you do not see what they've typed, ever. You cant even find them and they cant find you. Maybe some day forums will have this also, it would quickly put a stop to someone who is disruptive. Just makes more sense.

alisonb":1lc9zhbr said:
How to you all feel about a banned User coming back under another name, using a different IP address or proxy to fool the Mod? Am not sure how it works but think some get banned for a certain period and can then come back and others get banned permanently...according to the seriousness of offence. How about the User that operates under various names? Do you think that person should be banned immediately after it becoming clear who he/she is?

Some of the arguments that get people banned are a group of five or six egging each other on to be the dumbest. If someone needs CT that badly that he has multiple accounts and has been banned a few times...well, I guess we got a situation where someone might be shooting up a music concert if he wasn't fighting himself on CT. It's probably better to engage that person and let them stay around where we can watch 'em.

inyati13":1eb4dcys said:
greybeard":1eb4dcys said:
Blue Dawg":1eb4dcys said:
Ron has a vivid memory. He feels he has met a lot of people that are out of the ordinary, but Ron is the one that is out of the ordinary.
Ya think?

Blue Dawg: Thank you for that comment. I don't know who you are but I appreciate your observations.

TO: GreyBerry, Police Chief of the Morality Patrol. A user makes a positive comment about another user. You blemish it with sarcasm.

GreyBerry: He who to get attention, he posts the daily headlines on the board.

There is a line in the poem, Birches, by Robert Frost:
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

JUST FOR YOU:

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be a hypocrite.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be insecure.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be disingenuous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be self-righteous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could lack fortitude.

Seriously, GreyBeard. If anyone on this board is narcissistic, many of us are in their company, you right up with those of us at the top.

I am a moderator on a board that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. Visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

First off he thinks the most important thing is that the forum be friendly.

We don't moderate for content or truth. The members are trusted to be able to ferret that out and their collective brain always proves up to the task.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated while the more expert forums are mostly moderated only after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated there as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose that if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for those things in all the forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us may be just normal banter to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members were never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people when they came back. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members that have lots of good information. Sometimes other members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum or board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there are usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it may be less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and more hostile.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the useful info that has been posted here. It has made getting started in the cattle business much faster, easier and less costly.

HSTexas":3al6453o said:
inyati13":3al6453o said:
greybeard":3al6453o said:
Ya think?

Blue Dawg: Thank you for that comment. I don't know who you are but I appreciate your observations.

TO: GreyBerry, Police Chief of the Morality Patrol. A user makes a positive comment about another user. You blemish it with sarcasm.

GreyBerry: He who to get attention, he posts the daily headlines on the board.

There is a line in the poem, Birches, by Robert Frost:
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

JUST FOR YOU:

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be a hypocrite.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be insecure.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be disingenuous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could be self-righteous.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches, they could lack fortitude.

Seriously, GreyBeard. If anyone on this board is narcissistic, many of us are in their company, you right up with those of us at the top.

Whatever happened to Blue Dawg? He showed a lot of promise.

RayfromTX":19mxkgdm said:
I am a moderator on a forum that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

We don't moderate for content or truth. The members are trusted to be able to ferret that out and their collective brain always proves up to the task.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated where the more expert forums are mostly moderated after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose it if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for that in all forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us is just normal to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members and have lots of good information. Some members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum is board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there is usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it becomes less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and much more hostile.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the useful info that has been posted here. It has made getting started in the cattle business much faster, easier and less costly.

At least give us a link to that forum. Might be enjoyable place to visit.

TexasBred":2u7d1kmb said:
RayfromTX":2u7d1kmb said:
I am a moderator on a forum that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated where the more expert forums are mostly moderated after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose it if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for that in all forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us is just normal to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members and have lots of good information. Some members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum is board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there is usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it becomes less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and much more hostile.

X2

9x outta 10 the person who cries bully.
Just got proven wrong. Instead of admitting it and dusting themselves off and bellying back up to the table. They cry bully.
It's like I feared for my life...or think of the children.....

TexasBred":2funqt3o said:
RayfromTX":2funqt3o said:

He types too much, ban him.

TennesseeTuxedo":18g9jqsz said:
TexasBred":18g9jqsz said:
RayfromTX":18g9jqsz said:

He types too much, ban him.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

TexasBred":2hhocgmm said:
RayfromTX":2hhocgmm said:

Scubaboard.com

It would seem that our Mods follow similar guidelines to you guys RayfromTX and do a pretty good job at that. Thanks for your input.

RayfromTX":ticbuklp said:
There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated there as well as other hot button topics.
Now we know why there are 7,000,000 posts...give us Politics and Religion to discuss and we would clock that amount really quickly :lol:
RayfromTX":ticbuklp said:
They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole.
This sounds like it could be fun, please tell us more :p

TennesseeTuxedo":p412kxjr said:
callmefence":p412kxjr said:
9x outta 10 the person who cries bully.
Just got proven wrong. Instead of admitting it and dusting themselves off and bellying back up to the table. They cry bully.
It's like I feared for my life...or think of the children.....

I feared for my children.

Better than fearing from your children. (See, eg, Menendez brothers...).

alisonb":an5fwglq said:
RayfromTX":an5fwglq said:
They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole.
This sounds like it could be fun, please tell us more :p
Yeah, till admin has a belly full of their childish behavior and starts blocking big ranges of ip addresses, thus punishing dozens/hundreds of innocent users along with the guilty.
I know one board that blocked anyone with a Hotmail email address too..and for the same reason.

Latest posts